Your adventure takes you from the glassy waters of Lake Wakatipu to the rugged heart of the high country. Cruise on Spirit of Queenstown to Mt Nicholas for a guided tour of the farm. Savour the fresh mountain air and stunning views of this beautiful and remote location.
Why choose Mt Nicholas Farm Experience?
- Experience life on a real, working sheep station
- Follow the journey of New Zealand’s famous merino wool, from the high country, to the high
street with Icebreaker clothing
- Test your sheep herding skills with Belle and Khan the sheepdog and their talented team
- Meet and feed some of the farm’s friendly animals
- Includes a delicious farmers platters lunch or afternoon tea in the woolshed
- Stroll along our lake front historical walk at your own leisure and enjoy the breath-taking photo opportunities*
*Historical walk will be available from October 2019
About Merino Wool
Mt Nicholas is home to 29,000 merino sheep set on 100,000 acres of breathtaking terrain – an extraordinary landscape surrounded by mountains, thousands of glaciers, ice-carved fiords, forests, alpine lakes and vast snowfields.
The farm is one of a handful of family-owned high country stations on Lake Wakatipu, and supplies wool exclusively to the world-renowned Icebreaker clothing company.
Merino wool comes off the back of one of the world’s toughest animals which has learned to thrive in this extreme environment. Most breeds of sheep struggle to survive in this rugged high country, but these extraordinary animals grow a fleece that is luxuriously soft, yet strong enough to cope with anything nature throws at it. Their high-tech coat of exceptionally fine wool is light and breathable in summer, and highly insulating in winter.
That means they can survive temperatures that can soar to 35-degrees celsius in summer or plummet to minus 20-degrees celsius in winter, when mountains are blanketed deep in snow.