New Zealand is often hailed as the adventure capital of the world, and no other town comes close to Queenstown when it comes to the variety and range of adventure activities. There is something for every type of thrill-seeker from water activities such as white water rafting, river surfing and jet boating to the iconic bungy jump and the canyon swing.
We’ve mapped out the top spots in Queenstown where you’ll find the concentration of adrenaline-pumping activities:
- Skippers Canyon – This 1860’s gold rush site is packed with relics, interesting stories and vertical drop offs that make it the ideal place for a 4×4 offroad adventure. This is the access road to Shotover River where your water adventures await.
- Shotover River – The fast currents of the Shotover River make it the perfect place to go jet boating and whitewater rafting. Flowing south of the Southern Alps to the Kawarau River, it covers 75 kilometers.
- Nevis Valley – If you want to get on the world’s biggest swing, this is the place to be. Nevis Valley is a 40-minute drive from the town centre. The Nevis Swing offers an exhilarating 120kmh swing on a 300-metre arc from 160m above the canyon floor. You can go at it alone, with a friend, forward or backwards or upside down. Skyline Gondola
- Kawarau River – The Kawarau River flows 60 km from Lake Wakatipu to Kawarau Gorge. The rapid currents and narrow stretches make it a prime spot for insane adventure activities such as riverboating, jetboating, white water rafting and river surfing. The suspension bridge hanging over the gorge is best known as the birthplace for commercial bungy jumping. The zipride is the latest adventure innovation in this area with 130m zip rides taking sing or tandems 60kph alongside the river.
- Coronet Peak – This area has the highest take off oint for Queenstown gliding activities, so if you’re looking for a place to test your air adventures hang glide or paraglide from Coronet Peak. In the winter, it has the finest ski fields this side of New Zealand. It offers an great range of slopes for beginners and advanced skiers. Aside from the wonderful terrain, the amazing view of Lake Wakatipu and Lake Hayes make it the ideal place for those who love snow sports.
When you’re in Queenstown to get high on the adrenaline rush, look to these places to find your adventure fix.