You’ve just spent the day shredding up the mountain and it’s time to give the legs a break and quench your thirst.
With so many après ski spots to choose from, we have narrowed them down to our top seven:
- Mulled wine is a crowd favourite; pair it with a cruise on Lake Wakatipu and you’ve got yourself a winning combination. On Spirit of Queenstown Scenic Cruise you can sip on a glass or two as you take in the views from the comfort of our indoor lounge. It’s the perfect way to see the sites after a big day skiing.
- For the ultimate in après ski you can’t go past Rhino’s Ski Shack. When you step inside you feel like you’ve been transported to a quaint bar in the French Alps. Make sure you try one of their Canadian caesars to warm up or an eggnog shooter to get the night started.
- Cosy up next to the big open fire at Barmuda; there’s no better way to thaw out. We recommend their special Sailor Jerry infused mulled wine or a local pinot noir. If you’re feeling peckish, order the locals’ favourite, Devil Burger, which can be eaten at the bar.
- If beer is your drink of choice then pop into Smiths for the widest selection of craft beers in Queenstown. With plenty of space inside and out this is a great spot to come with friends. Make sure you try their traditional Canadian poutine!
- A firm favourite among locals all year round is Sundeck at Attiqa. This rooftop bar offers amazing views over the lake, comfy couches, cosy fires and plenty of blankets to keep you warm. Enjoy some yummy tapas while you warm up with a hot alcoholic ginger beer or buttered rum.
- For something a bit different, check out Perky’s Floating Bar. This boat-turned-bar is located in Queenstown bay and the best thing about it is that you can bring your own (BYO) food. We like to take some fish ‘n’ chips from Erik’s to enjoy with a few cold beers.
- Cowboys is arguably one of the most iconic bars in Queenstown and has been serving up après ski drinks for years. With the biggest beer handles in town, a pool table, shuffleboard and mechanical bull, this one bar not to be missed on your ski trip to Queenstown.
By definition, après ski is a social activity. With visitors from all parts of the world, you are guaranteed to meet some fantastic people on a night out in Queenstown. Take the time to explore some of these great après ski spots and discover why our small town is making such a big impact.
Spirit of Queenstown Scenic Cruise on Lake Wakatipu with views towards Glenorchy and the Southern Alps.