Milford Sound Coach & Cruise Special
Due to recent weather events and the Milford road repairs preventing private vehicle access, we are operating special Milford Sound Coach & Cruise day trips departing from Queenstown and Te Anau. There is limited coach capacity so we encourage you to book online today!
Learn more about the Milford road flood, details about the weather event, road closure and find out the easiest ways to get to Milford Sound. Unfortunately Milford Sound Underwater Observatory, Kayaking and Cruise only experiences are currently unavailable. We anticipate being fully operational again very soon.
Why choose the Underwater Observatory?
Cruising with Southern Discoveries is the best way to experience more of Milford Sound on top of the water, but why stop there? Upgrade your cruise to complete your day with a visit to our amazing, exclusively-operated, underwater observatory.
Hidden under the surface of Harrison Cove in the middle of Piopiotahi Marine Reserve is a unique and beautiful environment – there’s nowhere else in the world quite like it. Thanks to the deep-water emergence phenomenon, Milford Sound is home to species such as black coral which are usually only found at depths of more than 500 metres.
Our Milford Sound Underwater Observatory allows you to experience this amazing world beneath the surface. You’ll descend 64 steps (10 metres) underwater into a large, fully air-conditioned viewing area where windows with excellent clarity open your eyes to this underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it’s the people who are contained.
- A unique opportunity to visit New Zealand’s only floating underwater observatory, accessible only by boat
- Descend by spiral staircase to 10 metres beneath the water’s surface
- See rare black coral growing in its natural habitat and meet colourful sea creatures
- Relax as our guide tells you more about the unique history, geology and wildlife of Milford Sound
- Learn about the story of Milford Sound and our conservation efforts with entertaining videos and easy to read information panels